- Immerse yourself in an inclusive, diverse and supportive culture
- FIFO from Perth
- Outstanding opportunity to work with a high performing iron ore business
Roy Hill represents the next generation of integrated iron ore mine, rail and port operations in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. Situated approximately 340 kilometres south east of Port Hedland, our world-class operation is the only independent iron ore business with West Australian majority ownership. With a defined mineralisation of more than 2.4 billion tonnes of high grade iron ore, enough to sustain a mine life of more than 20 years, Roy Hill is introducing a new wave of innovation, technology and knowledge to Australia’s iron ore industry.
‘The Real Us’
The Roy Hill mine is the largest single-pit iron ore mine in Australia and has an initial mine life of 17 years, with a likely extension beyond that of 12 years. Roy Hill is an owner operator, conventional open pit, drill and blast, truck and excavator bulk mining operation.
Our Mine Operations leadership team is now seeking a Mine Geologist. Reporting to the Senior Geologist, you will function as an integral part of the mine geology team to ensure that timely and cost effective geological services are provided as required by the operation. The position is responsible for all aspects of the Mine Geology function and will work with all members of the Geology, Planning and Production teams to maximise the profitable extraction of the resources in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner.
Accountabilities will include: -
- Ensure all ore mark-ups are completed promptly and accurately
- Supervise the mining of ore zones to minimise dilution and maximise ore recovery
- Ensure Run of Mine (ROM} and stockpile inspections are carried out regularly
- Geologically log blast holes
- Ore spotting when required
- All pit wall issues (slips, slumps, cracks etc.} are inspected and reported to relevant personnel accurately and in a timely manner
- When faces in the pit become available they should be mapped using the appropriate software
- Interpretation of mapping should be carried out in a timely manner as data becomes available
- 3D ore digitising and resultant dig plans, undertaken as soon as information is made available
- Regular model checks and validation completed as per schedule
- Assist in the compilation of monthly and weekly reports
- Be conversant with the weekly and monthly mining schedule regarding tonnages and timing of ore delivery
- Undertake project work as required
‘The Real You’
For you to achieve outstanding results in this position, you will be an experienced Mine Geologist along with the following: -
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology or Geoscience
- Demonstrated experience as an Open Pit Mine Geologist
- Exposure to mining software, e.g. Vulcan or SURPAC, Pit mapping software e.g. 3DM Analyst
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to learn from and train others
‘The Real Offer’
Our people are the driving force behind the growth of the business and our success. We are committed to attracting and retaining people who have the right mix of skills, knowledge, leadership and motivation to operate one of Australia’s largest and most innovative integrated iron ore mining, rail and port operations.
Roy Hill offers rewarding careers, generous benefits, and a unique opportunity to join a dynamic workplace where collaboration, innovation, agility and personal leadership empowers you to perform at your best.
Roy Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages indigenous Australians and females to apply. We promote cultural diversity, gender equality and non- discrimination. To be eligible to apply for this role you must be legally permitted to work permanently in Australia.
Please note that unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.